Tuesday 4 December 2012

I Am a Port Harcourt Girl


What is prejudice? Prejudice is an unjustified or incorrect attitude (usually negative) towards an individual based solely on the individual’s membership of a social group, Wikipedia defines prejudice thus: “The word prejudice (or fore deeming) is most often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality or other personal characteristics. It can also refer to unfounded beliefs and may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence.”.

I am from Rivers State, and I grew up in Port Harcourt, for the last six years I have been staying in Abuja, and I must say I have heard all manner of things about Port Harcourt people girls.

I don’t know which annoys me the most; hearing people who know next to nothing about Port-Harcourt make assertions with conviction or people who expect you to behave in a certain way because you are a “Port-Harcourt girl”. It’s not like I’m claiming sainthood or anything, but I would like for people to judge me as an individual (that is if they are even allowed to judge) than for someone to sew me a scarlet letter simply because I am from a certain place.

Let me paint a couple of scenarios so we can look at them together.

I’m hanging out with a couple friends, and everyone is having a drink alcoholic of course, and I choose not to, the next thing you hear is “HA! Port Harcourt girl like you”, seriously this is not funny!

I find myself among a group of people, and we are having a conversation about something we saw in the news or on the internet about female sexual escapades, and I express my surprise like everyone else, the next thing I get is “but you should know this now, you are a Port Harcourt girl”

On one occasion I met someone who stayed in Port Harcourt for a couple of years and let it slip that I attended an all-girls’ government secondary school, I heard all sorts and all my protest to the contrary fell on deaf ears.

Most of the things I've heard about the so-called ‘Port Harcourt girls’ is in no way unique to girls in Port Harcourt, as far as we know there are women girls who drink heavily in every part of this world, women have been trading sex for money from time immemorial, and there is no record anywhere that this trade started in Port Harcourt.

I would like someone to give me one vice that started with Port Harcourt girls or one that is unique to them. Until then, stop this nonsense! It’s all fun and games till someone starts picking on you and then you'll realize how totally ridiculous it is being judged out of ignorance.

*use the comment box tell me what you've heard about your city and what you think of the prejudice*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

...am a PH boy,raised in Warri, groomed in Lagos & strayed overseas.
i wonder wot would be ascribed to me.

Efe Wanogho said...

Excellent piece. To the point. needless stereotyping abound.

Anonymous said...

Excellent write-up... More ink to ur pen

Unknown said...

I'm an igbo girl and they say we love money..who doesnt? nice one girl..keep it up...stop the generalisation!!

awolanye said...

Joygirl We need to stop it! it's not helping anyone! Funny enough we are all guilty one way or another.

Anonymous said...

Your pain is nothing compared to that of "calabar" girls who are branded as sex vendors. A guy dates a calabar girl and the next thing you hear is man u are so lucky She's giving you afang soup and sex steady! What rubbish?

awolanye said...

the stereotypes really need to stop.

soso said...

Nice piece and very on point. I am a benin girl and its generally accepted that benin girls prefer white men....love to travel abroad and would do anything to get there. And I so feel your piece.

OlDirty said...

True, the stereotyping needs to stop. But there is no smoke without fire. Most prejudice background curses were as a result of a general behavior. All ladies love money,but not as much as Igbo girls (Culture perhaps),Calabar girls are sex vendors,u can't blame them when 90% of their diet is seafood. PH girls are loose, well that could be because they take being social to a whole new level. Benue girls are unfaithful,most of their men are cheats. There are always exemptions to the rule, but that does not mean there are no facts supporting such prejudice.

Anonymous said...

Truth be told, there's no smoke without fire.PH gals could be termed loose ( not all of em') but its not really about the girls but more about the city they stay in.The city offers a variety of exoctic fun spot with patrons willing to go the extra mile to have fun, so the gals are exposed to all and hence its part of them.The social life there plays a major part and really d gals just live their lives in the community. A lady to a less social enviroment would not be exposed to loads of vulgarity and patrons so she'll definately be less adventurous. So if you are a PH gal take a bow as you could be refered to as been enlightened.....@fhemOra